Friday, January 20

anticipation

Gosh, I just can't help but get a little giddy when I think about the future.
Sometimes I lie awake at night and think about those munchkins I will be teaching soon.
In fact, last night I slipped and let one of my thoughts out before I edited it. Tyler couldn't help but chuckle when I called them "my students." You know, the ones that might not even be born yet? 
Those little guys that are in preschool right now?
Yeah them. They're mine.
I just can't wait to blow their minds with the brilliance of Shakespeare.
And teach them that you can say anything you want to through writing, but make sure believe in it.
And tell them how one time I didn't like to read either. But practice makes perfect.
And show them how literature transforms cultures.
And I can't wait to just believe in them. Truly believe. 'Cause sometimes teachers don't and kids pick up on that kind of stuff.
I just can't wait to get them excited about learning.
And growing.
And dreaming.
And discovering their passion.
And knowing that they are important.
And I mostly can't wait to help them realize that they don't have to change the whole world, but they can change their little piece of it.
 
Anyway, 
that's been my little slice for today. The future is bright over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note!