Monday, March 21

We Rode in Trucks

Could you just turn up your volume for this post? K thanks.
Down where I grew up was Heaven on Earth. Really.
I always play this song as Ty and I drive into the beautiful Salmon valley. All the memories of the 18 years spent there come flooding back to me. I think of this song playing in the background as we all clung to one another at graduation just before separating to embark on our new journeys across the globe. Sometimes an overwhelming love and appreciation for my little hometown just consumes me. I could almost tear up thinking about all of the things I love and miss about Salmon. But I will spare you that little episode. You're welcome.
Could you just bare with me as I reminisce about why Salmon is truly one of the best places on earth? I will be quick, I promise.
1. You see something beautiful no matter which window you look out of.
2. 95% of the time you can take ninety cents into the Quik Stop and come out with a large diet pepsi and ninety cents still in your pocket.
3. You know at least one out of every three people in Saveway.
4. You see children roaming the streets with no parental supervision. And that probably sounds scary and careless, but really it is just 'cause everyone is looking out for everyone.
Ehhemmm..and Bekah and I happen to have been one of those children riding our bikes back from the store with a gallon of milk and a bag of cat food on our backs. That was quite a site, I tell ya. Good thing we could ride with no hands.
5. You see sincere Savage Pride in the eyes of each and every citizen.
6. The people in Salmon know a little something about taking it all in and enjoying the simple things in life more than those 'city folk.'
7. There is one radio station. And one newspaper. And one grocery store. And the truest small town feel that ever existed. And 3,000 people who support one another when things get tough. No matter what.
8. Salmon produces imaginative children...on account of there is nothing to do there. Then, that imagination creates big dreams and motivations burning inside of them and they spread out to do wonderful things with their lives.
9. It is utterly impossible to grow up in Salmon and then come back and not think about that time you and your classmates put a junkyard car in the high school commons. Or how you organized nearly a thousand bake sales so you and your classmates could go to Europe. Or how you signed yourself out of school and drove down Main Street just so you could say you did. Mostly, you just can't come back without thinking of all the good times.

10. No matter where you end up...you can always call it home. And that has got to be the best part of it all.


4 comments:

  1. Love it!! I love reading your blogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Folks, you are looking at the greatest writer ever to live on this earth. I love you Chynna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no place like home.
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note!