Wednesday, May 16

quite possibly the most awkward twenty minutes of my life

Anyone who has lived in an apartment knows the joys of assigned parking stalls, three flights of stairs to carry splitting grocery bags up, and strange and uncomfortable sounds through shared neighborhood walls. You know the drill. My favorite though? Oh, it has to be when the maintenance men come to unplug your toilet while husband is away.

Disclaimer: the toilet was already plugged when I got home from a trip last weekend. So either some creep has been in here clogging up the pipes while I am gone, or the cheap plumbing of mass-produced buildings has failed me. Let's go with the latter.

Anyway, I planned not to be here when he came. I really did. I was gone most of the day, but of course, the odds were not in my favor. The maintenance man showed up at the door, and I--mildly horrified that I kind of knew him--showed him to the bathroom. I sat awkwardly on the couch texting Tyler:

"he's here."
"omg this is so embarrassing."
"kill me now."
"please?"

No response. Men. Always there when you need 'em, eh?

The maintenance man did what he needed to for about twenty minutes before deciding this was a two man job. He called in the professional. So, there I sat. Again. Oh-so-awkwardly. This time though, I pretended to attend to some important business on my laptop. Very convincingly, I might add.

They consulted each other on the woes of toilet-declogging, meanwhile I am dying inside a little bit. I hear a "geez, this is bad" come from the lavatory. I am cursing Tyboy for being far away--thinking that even if he couldn't unclog the commode, he could at least make this situation a lot less awkward, on account of he and maintenance man are fishing buddies.

I hear a flush, then they leave.

They tell me don't worry, EVERYONE in the building is having toilet clogging issues today. It's the plumbing system, they say. It's not just you. Your neighbors have it too.

Maintenance man could have started with that. Really really could have, should have started with that.

Oh the joys of apartment living.  We only dream of the day when we have a house (and a toilet) of our very own.

4 comments:

  1. oh gosh, this does sounds quite awkward!! but don't worry, it's little things like this that give us chuckles later on! and we've all been there now and again.
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahaha this is so awkward! I felt awkward even reading it! Glad it ended on a positive note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha. Definitely awkward- but look at it this way, you'll always have a good memory from this apartment- one you'll laugh about forever. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too funny. We've had plenty of awkward experiences with the maintenance guys here too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note!